FOR STABILIZATION OF PELVIC FRACTURES WITH THE CORRECT FORCE
The SAM Pelvic Sling™ II is the first and ONLY force-controlled circumferential pelvic belt. It is scientifically proven in peer-reviewed studies to safely and effectively reduce and stabilize open-book pelvic ring fractures. The SAM Pelvic Sling II was designed not to over-tighten or under-tighten, unlike other commercial binders which allow unlimited force to be applied to the patient. Researchers at Legacy Health System utilized cadaver studies and clinical trials to determine the optimum range of force required to safely and effectively close an unstable pelvic fracture.
The SAM Pelvic Sling II’s patented Autostop buckle is programmed to stop your pull once the correct compression force has been obtained. This is vital in high stress environments where over-tightening by emergency medical personnel under duress could potentially be extreme and harmful.
Trauma surgeons around the world recognize the importance of stabilizing pelvic fractures during the critical first “golden hour” following severe trauma. Because of the potentially devastating hemorrhage associated with such fractures, standard first aid protocol includes applying some type of circumferential binder around the victim’s hips.
The SAM Pelvic Sling II offers a simpler one-piece design with no detachable hardware. It is compact, easy to use (only three steps), and quick to apply (usually in less than one minute). The standard size fits (without cutting or trimming) 98% of the adult population. It does not require a fine touch to operate and gives clear feedback by sound and feel to confirm correct application.
The sling is durable and unaffected by extremes of moisture and temperature or by exposure to hard or sharp objects. It is also MRI safe, and can be cleaned for re-use with common detergents or anti-microbial solutions. It can be used in CT-scans. Researchers have stated that “Artifacts on CT images caused by these springs proved negligible and did not affect posterior fracture visualization.” (Krieg clinical trial)
APPLIES IN 3 EASY STEPS
Based on in vitro testing, the SAM Pelvic Sling™ II will not present a hazard or risk to a patient undergoing an MRI procedure using an MR system operating at 3-Tesla or less. The SAM Pelvic Sling™ II contains ferromagnetic springs in the buckle. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the SAM Pelvic Sling™ II is firmly applied to the patient prior to entry into the MRI environment (as stated in the labeling for this device). Accordingly, there will be no hazard or risk to a patient undergoing an MRI procedure. The SAM Pelvic Sling™ II should not be removed from the patient while in the MRI system room.
WHY DOES CONTROLLING CIRCUMFERENTIAL FORCE MATTER IN THE TREATMENT OF PELVIC FRACTURES?
At the time of initial evaluation, the exact type of fracture is usually unknown. In some cases, too little force will not close or stabilize the fracture; in others, too much force can collapse the pelvic ring. The SAM Pelvic Sling II stands alone as the only pelvic binder pre-programmed to apply the safe and correct force for all pelvic fractures.
BENEFITS AND FEATURES
• Scientifically and clinically proven to provide safe and effective force to stabilize pelvic fractures
• Buckle maintains correct force; cannot be over-tightened
• Standard size fits 98% of population, Small and Large sizes available for children or large patients
• “Click” provides clear feedback to confirm correct application
• Pulling gradually and symmetrically increases sling tension and reduces the pelvis
• Low friction posterior slider facilitates transfers
• Front of Sling is narrow and tapered to facilitate urinary catheterization, interventional radiology, external fixation and abdominal surgery
• Fabric does not stretch and cleans for reuse with standard detergents or antimicrobial solutions
• Radiolucent (allowing for X-rays and CT-scans without removal)
• Ease of application: just insert belt through buckle, pull strap, and secure
• Velcro on strap and sling for quick and easy fastening
• Reusable, not a onetime use device
• Latex free